The Gerhart Hauptmann House in Kloster Hiddensee 

Time in Pictures 

The (old) “Seedorn” house was built in for the glassmaker, Modler, in 1920 as a gift to his girlfriend. “It was a square box which looked horrible up in the air” said the pastor of the island, Arnold Gustavs. The community demanded the house have a facelift, and so 2 small verandas were added and the roof was tilted downwards. The house was called “Seedorn” because there were many sallow thorn bushes around it.

Gerhart Hauptmann visited the island of Hiddensee in 1885 during his honeymoon for the first time staying overnight with three friends at house Schliecker in Kloster and wrote the poem “Die Mondscheinlerche” (“The moonlight lark”), and that very night, he fell in love with the island.
This love lasted a lifetime; he spent a lot of summers on the island – but never with his wife Marie, only with his lover and second wife Margarete Marschalk. Hauptmann spent many summers on the island: at for example Gasthof Freese in Vitte (1896), at the Lietzenburg of Oskar Kruse (1916-1920), the house at the ocean of the Sydow family (1921-1924), and the Seedorn house in Kloster during the summers of 1926, 1297 and 1929. They liked it because of its proximity to the ocean and its view across the island.
In 1930, Hauptmann bought the house and had it renovated by architect, Arnulf Schelcher. Hauptmann was 68 when he fulfilled his dream of owning his own house on the island. Until 1943 (except in 1939) the Hauptmans spent summers, between July and September, at their house on Hiddensee. They were fruitful times for his work and well-being. The house was turned into a memorial for the 10th anniversary of his death. It is regularly renovated (1975/76, 1980/81, 1987, 1992 and 1997). Gerhart Hauptmann was buried in the small Island cemetery in Kloster.
Famous works of art, such as a Christ-torso from the 13th century, an Italian crucifix from the 15th century, a sculpture by Georg Kolbe, and the death mask of Ernst Rülke can be seen at this museum.