The House in Schreiberhau 

Time in Pictures 

In 1890 during a walk, the young authors Carl and Gerhart Hauptmann were so thrilled by the landscape of the Schreiberhau region that they decided to settle down there. They chose the tale of seven houses, a picturesque part of Middle-Schreiberhau. Gerhart Hauptmann wrote some of his most famous works there, "Die Weber", "Biberpelz" and "Fuhrmann Henschel". After the decay of his marriage to Marie Thienemann in autumn of 1896, the author went back to Berlin, only to return to the area near Agnetendorf in 1900 and settle there.
The house in Middle-Schreiberhau quickly became one of the most important meeting places of the artists' colony in Schreiberhau, formed at the end of the 19 century. Long and intense debates on literature, philosophy, and art were conducted with the participation of the befriended scientist and publicist Wilhelm Bölsche, author and journalist Bruno Wille, the poet John Henry Mackay, the painter Hanns Fechner (also known as "Spreehanns" because he came from Berlin), Otto Müller who was later a member of the expressionist artist colony "Die Brücke" ("The Bridge"), national economist Werner Sombart, and the composer Anna Teichmüller.
After Gerhart moved out, Carl stayed at the house in Schreiberhau. In his literary work, he often used the Giant Mountains as a theme. His most famous works are the collection of legends "Rübezahlbuch" and "Einheit der Lächler" ("unification of the smilers"), a novel about the artistic life in Breslau at the end of the 19th and the beginning of the 20th century. Carl Hauptmann reworked the German translation of Stanislaw Reymonts novel "Choopi" ("The farmers"), with which he most certainly contributed to the Polish author winning the Nobel Price in 1924.
 A lot of well-known artists from the then artist colony often met at Carl Hauptmann's house. After Carl's death, a small exhibition was built, dedicated to the Schreiberhau artists. Later, in 1936, the house became "the house of homeland"; a meeting place for traditional costume groups that cultivated local traditions. After World War II the house turned into a creative house for the Polish authors alliance, later into a Rehab centre, and finally into communal flats. In 1987, the local authorities handed the house over to the Okr´gowe Museum in Jelenia Góra (museum in Hirschberg), which then arranged a general renovation of the building.
On February 21st, 1995 a new museum was opened to the public in Schreiberhau, a subsidiary of the Hirschberg Giant Mountains Museum (Muzeum Karkonoskie Jelenia Góra).
The Carl and Gerhart Hauptmann House holds a permanent exhibition about the Mountain Ghost (Rübezahl), on artist colonies with a special focus on Carl and Gerhart Hauptmann, and on the paintings of Vlastimil Hoffman. The museum presents the cultural richness of the Giant Mountains from then until now. Many bibliophilic editions by Carl and Gerhart Hauptmann, among these the first edition of „Die Weber" ("the weaver") in Poland, which was published in 1898 by the print office of the foreign network of the Polish Socialists in London (Drukarnia Zwiàzku Zagranicznego Socjalistó w Polskich w Londynie). Furthermore, there is a collection of landscape paintings of the Giant Mountains by artists of the "artist colony St. Lucas in Schreiberhau", which was located there before World War II, and which included painters such as Alfred Nikisch, Georg Wichmann and Hans Oberländer. The collection also includes graphic art and drawings by Tadeusz Nodzynski, Krzysztof Figielski, and Beata Kornicka-Konecka. Next to the building is Carl Hauptmann's grave, which was designed by architect Hans Pölzig in 1925 and financed by friends of the poet.