Wiesenstein House in Jelenia Góra 

Jagniatków (Agnetendorf) 

Gerhart Hauptmann had the villa built directly into the rocks of the Giant Mountains in 1900/1901 by Berlin architect Hans Grisebach. The castle-like building was called "Wiesenstein". In 1900, Hauptmann's lover, Margarete, gave birth to their first son Benvenuto, so Hauptmann wanted to create a home for his new family in the Giant Mountains. In 1904, Marie agreed to the divorce and Gerhart married Margarete.
The Wiesenstein House became their permanent residency; there, they spent more than 40 years during spring and fall, and sometimes winter. Much of Hauptmann's work was drafted, written or worked on there. They also celebrated and talked with friends, and Hauptmann enjoyed long walks through his beloved Mountains. The villa was filled with many paintings, sculptures, works of art, heavy furniture, and a library that held over 10.000 books.
The great entry hall, painted by Johannes Avenarius in 1922/23 with images from Hauptmann´s works (especially "Hanneles Himmelfahrt"), was later called paradise hall. A big park surrounds the villa, which invites visitors on long walks though the park, possible even during bad weather because of a covered walkway that was built. Close to the entrance, the Hannele- sculpture by Josef Thorak was installed in 1944, which now been returned to its place there.
After treatment at a health resort in Dresden in February of 1945, where Hauptmann experienced the bombing of the town, he desperately wanted to go back to Agnetendorf and spend the end of the war there. Silesia became Polish and the Germans had to leave. Hauptmann got a letter of authorization to stay at the Wiesenstein House until the chartered train could bring him and all of his belongings to Berlin. He died on June 6th, 1946; the chartered train did not arrive until on July 19th. Hauptmann was buried on July 28th on the island of Hiddensee.
During the 50 years until 1997, The Wiesenstein House was used as a children´s recovery and holiday camp. At the end of the 90s, the house was completely restored through donations to the foundation for German-Polish collaboration, the state of Saxony and the confederacy, and was opened to the public on September 1st, 2001 as a new cultural institution in the town of Jelenia Góra. In May of 2005, the Gerhart Hauptmann House became civic museum.